Tuesday 15 April 2014

The Next New Beginning



At the end of the year / beginning of next year (all things going to plan health-wise) I will be moving back out to the country.  Three hours east of Perth. 

MR's parents have retired and moved to the coast and he is currently back at home running the business with his brothers.  And we are renting his parent's house from them until I move back at which point we will buy the place off them.  Yes, that means we are currently running two households and yes it is a terrible, terrible idea.

Our new home is such a well thought out building.  MR's dad built it 20 years or so ago and they designed it themselves.  It is north facing so lots of beautiful natural light (unlike our current home which has the north side featuring the laundry, bathroom and one of the spare rooms and has verandahs on all the other sides of the house so is so dark inside) and it has an elevation in the ceiling with windows all along it into the kitchen and dining area which is on the south side so that it has just as much natural light as the north side.  It has a super huge kitchen with a walk in pantry.  It is very open throughout the kitchen, informal dining area and living room.  They were very ahead of their time.  It really is a beautiful home.

And home is the key word.  This house we are in currently was never going to be home.  I knew we would be moving back to the country eventually, although it is sooner than I imagined, and I just didn't know enough about house choosing to be aware of high on the list of importance natural light is to me.  I like bright, airy spaces. And they are in abundance in our new place.

Even though we're renting, we have the green light to start changing things we want.  MR's parents haven't really updated anything from the original style so there is a lot of 80's style bathroom things happening and the kitchen could use a new oven and new benchtops.  Bathrooms and kitchen renos are a  bit out of our price range at the moment though so we need to start small.  A lick of paint throughout the house and some new curtains in the master bedroom (which is currently featuring some lovely peachy floral numbers, eek).

Ideally, I would love to paint the master bedroom or a feature wall in the living room this Easter long weekend but we have left it a bit late I think.  I'm in Perth and have just got some paint cards to look through.  MR is not in Perth, is actually in the middle of driving a truck back from Port Hedland with his Dad and then will be out bush and I don't know that me emailing paint colour ideas to him and him choosing them online and me not seeing how they look in the natural light of the home is really going to work.  So I'm thinking maybe we I just need to ease back a bit from this full throttle urge to do all of the things right now and maybe just get MR to pick a couple of colours and get some sample pots to take up and explore with.  A little bit more sensible, right?

And while we are deciding there are an awful lot of wallpaper border strips on the bedroom walls that need removing...



 
What are your tips for painting and freshening up a room on a small budget?

5 comments:

Janine said...

Hi Megan where are you moving too. We moved from Aramdale to Kirup, 3 years ago. I love it here. No advice on your decorating sorry

Bron said...

How very exciting.....I am sure you will have loads of fun even if it is just little changes. Xxxx

Margret said...

Painting, such great results but such a pain in the dot! No real tips except skirting boards and cornices should always be white :)
We are actually gearing up for a painting party next weekend with family and friends coming up to help speed us in to the new house. Progress has taken such a hit with Ian getting sick. We are painting all one colour throughout for now, I couldn't handle the thought of picking multiple colours so everything is going to be 'black white'...

Sally said...

I have no tips at all... I'm all ideas and action but little thoughtfulness.

So sad that your departure is approaching so soon...

2paw said...

A long, long time ago we painted the lounge. We put up anaglypta wallpaper to hide all the terrible lathe and plaster and previous wallpaper, so I suppose the only advice I have is to prepare well, very well. And to test the colours you want in the room in different lights and times of day. I love, absolutely love colour cards!! Happy painting.