Tuesday 7 January 2014

Roast pumpkin, corn and feta fritters




For Christmas I was lucky enough to receive Jamie Oliver's latest cookbook, Save with Jamie.  It's my first Jamie cookbook.  I'm not a huge cookbook person, I'm a bit fussy on the ingredient front so I tend to just search online or make up my own thing.  But I watched the TV show and it seemed like my sort of book so I added it to my wishlist.  

I've already made two recipes from it (with some alterations because I just can't help myself).  They were both pumpkin recipes based around roasting a whole butternut pumpkin and then scooping out the flesh.  Half of the flesh I used in a pasta recipe with the mashed flesh and some crème fraîche becoming the sauce.  I added some snow peas, cherry tomatoes and chicken to it as well.  It was so tasty.  So tasty that I didn't get a photo because we were too busy enjoying it.  And I particularly like that it was so veggie-fied.  I never eat enough veggies.  

The other half of the pumpkin flesh went into these fritters above.  In the original recipe they were just pumpkin but I added corn and feta as well.

Roast Pumpkin, Corn and Feta Fritters

1/2 butternut pumpkin, roasted and flesh scooped out
150g cottage cheese (I used Philly cream for cooking because I forgot to buy cottage cheese)
100g self raising flour
1 egg
1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper to season
corn (I didn't measure, maybe about 3/4 cup?)
about 100g feta

Mix first five ingredients in a bowl, I didn't even bother with a mixer, just used a fork.  Add corn and feta and stir through.  Cook in a heated pan with melted butter or oil (I used a bit of both for flavour) Dollop spoonfuls in and flatten out for better cooking through.  Cook until golden brown.  Mine took a couple of minutes on each side. 

I served mine with some tomato relish and salad and they were really yummy.  I had the leftovers cold with some butter spread on them like pikelets for lunch the next day, just as tasty.


I'm really enjoying the holidays, so much more energy to enjoy cooking a nice meal for dinner.  This one was very quick though, I will definitely be adding this in for the school night meals and leftovers for school lunches!

 

4 comments:

2paw said...

Oh yum, that looks delicious!! I think holidays are a good time to cook and you can build up a repertoire for when you go back to work!! I can barely restrain myself from altering recipes. I really enjoyed Save with Jamie the TV show. At last, recipes that don't cost the earth to make!!

nicole said...

Ooh! They sound delicious!
I've got the book too and have really only cooked the leftover meat recipes... Need to get into it and have a good read!

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} said...

If only I liked pumpkin ;)
Im a Jamie fan although Im yet to cook one of his meals in under 30 minutes as he does, Id like to know if anyone has managed to cook one of his 15 minute meals in that time when I can barely manage the 30 minute one
Hope you had a nice Chrisssy x

Amanda said...

Sounds yummy! I love Jamie Oliver recipes :)