Thursday 5 July 2012

K2 P2

Yes, you guessed right, I'm finally having some success at knitting!  I've worked out the rib stitch pattern and get it right more often than not now and I have about 30cm of a loopy cowl scarf thingie on the needles.


As you can see, there are a few lumps and bumps around and it is certainly not perfect, but I don't mind.  Why? Because I've actually almost properly worked out how to unknit and pick up dropped stitches!  Finally!! I say almost properly because I still haven't got it quite right I don't think but at least I know when I've done something wrong now and what I've done.  That was the frustrating part before, not knowing how to fix up mistakes.

This is a lovely soft 100% baby alpaca wool and it smells so good.  I can't wear sheep wool around my neck - my neck goes bright red and itchy - so I thought I'd give alpaca a try.  Unfortunately, it didn't do to well either so this one is destined for a friend's birthday present.

I know it wasn't any good around my neck because a month or so ago I crocheted this scarf for myself with the same wool and a nice soft bamboo and milk proteins yarn (the light grey).  I thought making it not entirely animal fibres might make it ok around my neck but no, red and itchy it got.  Very annoying, because I liked my grey scarf.  Next time I'm at spotty I'll have to get some nice soft synthetics or bamboo or something in greys and make myself one.  This one is also for a friend's birthday now, there's a couple of birthdays at the moment so I might as well make the most of the season and make pretty scarves for everyone with my massive overabundance stash of yarns!


What's been happening in your creative world lately? 

 

8 comments:

lamina@do a bit said...

Lovely scarves and I love the greys... pity you can't wear them but great for your friends :)

Elle and Lou said...

Looks great -you have a lucky friend!

Anonymous said...

Well done. Beautiful wool. I love the colours. Would you mind sharing the stitch on the completed scarfe? x

Claire said...

Hey Megan, congrats on your knitting success and figuring out how to pick up dropped stitches. A very necessary skill to have hehe......

Love your colour choices and your friends are very lucky to receive such beautiful pressies.

CLaire :}

2paw said...

Fantastic work, and it looks so snuggly and warm. I think that a little individuality means that you know it is handmade with love and lots of effort Well done!! There are lots of non-animal fibres, the Knitty.com lady (AMy Singer)can only use them and she's written a book, so good luck with your quest.

Debra said...

Fantastic...looks great...your friend will love this!
Congrats on learnign a new skill

Sally said...

Yep fixing the mistakes makes knitting more pleasurable.... now if I could just do it quick like crochet.
I'm still plugging away at increases and decreases... hopefully I'll get my head around it at Brown Owls this afternoon.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Beautifully done both the knitting and the crochet. What a shame you cant wear wool.....luckily there are heaps on other lovley fibres these days. I wish my knitting was a quick as my crochet as well but I think that is the nature of the beast :-)