Saturday 3 March 2012

Starting Better Habits

awesome nest bed found here
  
Today, after reading Wendy's post, I have decided that it is time for me to start having better sleeping habits.  I have been thinking about it for a while now actually.  Probably for most of my adult life if I'm honest.  I am a shocking night owl.  Every night I say, I should go to bed early tonight.  And every night I somehow manage to fiddle faddle around until well past 1am.  It's been worse since I've been in hospital because I'm not working so it doesn't really matter if I go to bed at 2am and get up at 11am.  Unless I have an appointment.  Or unless poor MR is home and he has to put up with me waffling on for hours in bed when all he wants to do is sleep.  MR would be Incredibly Pleased if I was to turn into a (slightly) earlier sleeper.
I did think of a nice sounding incentive scheme to get me In-Bed-Lights-Out before 11 last night, at 2am as I was brushing my teeth to go to bed.  Seeing as I have No Money, maybe MR can pay me $5 for each night I get IBLO before 11.  This money would have to be spent on me or craft stuff or housey stuff.*  I posed it to him this evening when he called and well, I guess he's quite eager for me to go to sleep earlier and not keep him up because he thought that that might just be ok.

Of course, I'm not going to make it tonight because as I'm typing this the clock just ticked over to 10.58 and I'm in the middle of watching an episode of CSI.  Small steps.  Maybe I'll just aim for 12 tonight.  That's better than 2 anyhow!

And like just like Wendy, I am better at it if I am accountable. So over on my side bar I'll be keeping track of my lights out time for the month.

Do you need to start a better habit?  Want to join in to?  It doesn't have to be the same as mine.    Just leave a comment below and I'll pop round to encourage you!





* MR would quite happily give me money to do/buy stuff if I asked and he has done in the past already, but this way I would feel like I had somehow earned it... albeit in a star-chart-weilding-child-like-way.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Mmmm... not sure that I would be able to do this. I'm a shocking night owl too!!!

Beautiful Day said...

Good on you for giving it a go! I'm actually cheating a bit, in that I'm only making myself be in bed by 10.30pm, without turning off the lights straight away. But the reason for that is to stop me starting new things, especially on the computer. I'm letting myself read for awhile, once I go to bed, because I know that will help my head to focus on something other than my own thoughts as I wind down for sleep. Knowing that I can read for a bit, is motivating me to get to bed quicker! xx

2paw said...

Good luck with the sleeping. There is a Sleep Tight tea from T2, and some lavender on your pillow too. Also, I do a kind of meditation technique thingy that really helps. I am a poor sleeper too. I think my mind has not thought enough things all day because I am not teaching and so it wants to think all night. Oh, a few weeks of sleeping well and you will be a rich woman!!