Monday 22 August 2011

When normal routines go out the window... and "ness" comes to rule

This past week has been a bit haywire for me.  There has been a lot of all-over-the-place-ness and not-getting anything-much-done-ness.

I think I have written about this before but when MR is home all my normal routines get punted out the window and life revolves mostly around spending time with him while I have the chance.  There are exceptions of course, important things like my current Tuesday night sewing class and my monthly Brown Owls group do not get missed out on.  Unfortunately I still have to go to work as well.  So life does go on.  Things that don't really happen though are blogging, facebooking, catching up on emails and reading.  When MR is home we tend do jobs together like I'll make a salad and he gets the meat ready.  We'll hang out the washing together, do gardening together and so on.  Of course we do separate things as well but those things above that I do a lot of when alone just lose their important-ness when I have the option of spending time with my loved one.  (Apologies to my regular blogs, I'll be there to comment happily sometime in the coming week!)

When we relax we have relax time together and watch DVDs.    We have just started watching Dexter.  Two episodes in it has been put on hold for a bit... do I continue?  Is it worth persisting with or is it just entirely too psychotic and disturbing?  I was fascinated, but in a slightly disgusted way, so much that I kept forgetting to eat my dinner.  I have heard it is good and Dexter is certainly delightfully distracting from the psycho-ness eye candy...  So for a lighthearted change we started Season 1 of Weeds.  I have seen a few episodes when I was up late enough but MR has never seen it.  Hilarious.  So up my alley in the humour stakes.  Big Bang Theory is another one we have recently got on DVD but seeing as I have seen most of them on TV, MR has been watching them by himself while I'm at work.  BBT has got to be one of my all time favourite shows.  It is proper funny, not lets make jokes about sleeping with lots of women, drinking way too much and making fun of others funny like so many shows out there. (Not that I don't watch those shows as well)

However, the DVD watching even got put on the back burner a bit this week it was so busy.  Last Wednesday was my birthday, MR flew in two days early to be there for it and we had dinner out at a fancy restaurant on the river with my dad and sister.  Thursday and Friday we were home but then Saturday we went to Fremantle for a day of wandering around the shops and markets and buying the first blueberries of the season, yay! Saturday night was dinner out with some of my friends and their partners, stressful as I don't really like the whole centre of attention business and most of my friends don't really know each other but it was a good night and everyone seemed to get along just fine (phew).  Sunday was sleep catch up, Brown Owls craft in the arvo and then birthday dinner at Mum's with MR and my sister.  I needed a weekend to recover from my weekend! 

My sticky date pudding with vanilla bean sorbet at Wednesday night's dinner*

MR went to visit his family for the night tonight so finally I have a chance for blog catch up, email reading and perhaps a quick bit of book reading before bed.  After I put all the clean clothes away... MR was very good while I was out yesterday arvo and did 3 loads of washing!

How do you cope when routine goes astray?

I can only imagine what it would be like for those who have kids and a partner who works away how crazy things get when they are home!




* the teacher in me did the best to ignore the alternating caps and lowercase... thankfully I was overcome by the loveliness (and tastiness) of it to be too concerned.
 
 

3 comments:

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} said...

Sounds like you had a great Birthday, spreading it out for all to enjoy a piece of you and I didn't even notice the spelling until you pointed it out! You school teacher you :) Routine with your partner it's a tricky one isn't it, it's important to have your own interests and also to spend time together when you can. If I was you I'd wait and watch Dexter together I can't get enough of that show ... but don't watch it alone! Maybe pick a girly series you can watch when he's not around. It's all about compromise I guess isnt' it :)

2paw said...

Happy Birthday to you!!! Hope you had a wonderful day. I know friends who do everything together, and those who do hardly anything and some in between I think you just find the right mix for yourselves.

Sally said...

So glad your MR was in town for your birthday. I love doing "jobs" with my man. It is the little moments together that are sometimes the best.
As for routine... what routine? I love routine but for the time being I think it might be best to just go with the flow!!!