Monday 1 August 2011

impulse buys

  
Recently, I splurged on a magazine.  Now generally one would not put the words 'splurge' and 'magazine' in a sentence together, particularly when the former is referring to the latter.  But I did.



It was Mollie Makes.  A lady at my Brown Owls got issue one from a friend in England and brought it to share and we all ooh-ed and ahh-ed over it.  So much pretty, lovely stuff.  So I looked online at how much a subscription would cost.  And it was $222.69 for a year.  This seemed a bit astronomical to me so I decided that maybe I would just treat myself to one.  The cost of one magazine didn't seem like much compared to $222 so I hit buy and processed my credit card before I sat back and really thought it through. 

One magazine cost $20.95.

Ridiculous amount to spend on a magazine when you think of it.  I could have bought a new book for that and had 8+ hours of quality reading time instead of just 1 hour. 

It arrived the other day and I was excited in suitable proportions to the price I paid for it and it was a good one hour read but really, when you can't buy half the stuff in it without having to pay almost $222 in postage from England to get it to Australia, I don't know if it's really worth it.

I will take it to the next Brown Owls for everyone else to drool over though.


What was your most recent impulse buy?
 

3 comments:

2paw said...

The cost of magazines from overseas is totally ridiculous, but I am glad you gave in and treated yourself. I always think that a magazine can be forever and for the same cost, four pots of tea is for a few hours!! I've seen this about on the internet and it looks good. You never know, it might be in your local newsagency one day. My last impulse buy was a book, last in a trilogy, saw it in the bookshop and bought it this morning.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I have been checking out that magazine but couldn't justify the postage, I do get Inside Crochet as an emag from Yudu and its pretty good, same for all the lovely items you might be tempted to purchase in it, its an English magazine :-(

Sally said...

$20.95!!! Goodness that is a slurge... can't wait to have a peep at it. The cover looks pretty :)