Saturday 11 June 2011

This week I'm grateful for...


I've been umming and ahhing over a few options with work for a few weeks now and I've decided that as of next term I am going to drop my hours from full time to 9 days out of 10 per fortnight.  I'm still struggling with this fatigue and I just don't see myself coping with going back to full time after doing 4 days a week this term.  Ideally I would like to keep with the 4 days a week but I don't want to use up all my sick leave or have to decrease my pay too much so by dropping just one day I am only losing $200 per fortnight, and keeping my sick leave for when I really need it.  $200 doesn't seem like much but when you have just bought a house and are still trying to furnish it and would eventually (in a couple of years) like to renovate the kitchen and the two bathrooms plus save money to go on a overseas holiday late next year, $200 is a lot of money.

I've spoken to MR about it and brought up whether we can manage on that much less per fortnight.  He was not at all concerned, brushing off my worries and stresses with a 'pff, of course we can'.  Of course, this didn't stop me from stressing about being lazy and not contributing to the household, or doing up a mock budget for the next year based on the decreased wages to make sure we would be alright.  I am just like that.

So this week I am grateful for...

... balance - MR's calmness and unflappability (if that could be a word just for now) balances my stresshead worrywarting.

... flexibility - it is nice to have a job where it will not at all be a problem that I want to drop a day.


Mosy on over to Maxabella's for the rest of the grateful crew this week.
 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm considering doing the same thing at the moment - cutting my hours. It's a big decision to make.
Great post! X

Alice Becomes said...

i love the unflappability - both as a word and as a character trait. Just how my partner would respond too! Gill xo

2paw said...

Truly, though the extra money would be nice, it's no use if you aren't fit to enjoy it. You will really enjoy the extra day of rest and you are indeed lucky to have such a kind and supportive partner!!

Tessa White said...

The cash is nothing compared to happiness...we can always find a way to afford things if we really need to x

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Good on you for being able to make choices, a lot of people just continue on doing what is not working for them and then fall in a heap.
Mr sounds like your Rock....hang onto that one :-)
Can you email me your address and I will pass it onto Mrs P of Quilting in My Pyjamas so she can send you Lucy when she has finished visiting her. Only a few more weeks and it is school holidays again, hang in there :-)