Friday 8 April 2011

This week I'm grateful for...


Two weeks ago I went for a blood test because I was feeling a bit more tired than usual and wanted to get my iron levels and thryoid checked as I try to do every couple of years due to past problems with iron levels and family history of thyroid conditions.  The doctor phoned me two days after that to get me in for the results as soon as I could get there that day, so I knew something was up.  I wasn't expecting anything major, perhaps my thyroid was underactive, maybe I had very low iron levels.  But the doctor gave me Very Big Unexpected News instead - my white blood cell count was at 73,000 and normal levels are 11,000.  They suspected Leukaemia.  I was sent straight to see a Haemotologist the next day and more blood tests two days after that and a bone marrow biopsy earlier this week.  When I went in for the biopsy the haemotologist told me the blood tests had confirmed it.  I have Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia (CML).. 

It's all been a bit of a whirlwind couple of weeks for me and my head space is only just starting to function normally.  Wednesday I was very down and flat (results and bone marrow biopsy the day before) but yesterday and today I have felt much happier and more normal.  I feel that I am coping quite well considering.  There have only been two or three small lots of tears, and no ranting or raving.  There has been some quiet time, lots of discussions with my partner, long chats with family and close friends.  There have been some flat days and days that are a bit of a blur but I have my results now and I'm not left hanging for weeks, and medication doesn't start for another week or two so life is continuing as normal for now.  My last patch of pre-Leukaemia life, before everything else starts and things change while I get used to the medication and any side effects that come with it.  I'm trying to make the most of it!

So the grateful awards this week are going to...

... having the 'good' Leukaemia which is manageable by tablets which, if they work as they are supposed to, means I can lead a pretty much normal life and should prevent it from developing into a more severe form of Leukaemia which requires chemotherapy.

... modern day medicine and the advances they are making every day.  The medication I will be taking for the rest of my life to control my white blood cells has only been available since 2000.  It has increased the life expectancy of people with my disease enormously.  I am very very thankful for this.

... my partner, who will probably from now on be known as My Rock (MR), who is continuing his very high levels of support and unflappability in the face of some scary news.

... things not being as bad as TV makes them out to be.  Bone marrow biopsies look really scary and incredibly painful on Grey's Anatomy.  They are not too bad and they give you good forgetful unconcerned-making drugs in real life.

... all the people around me who have needed to know - work, family, close friends.  Lots of support and ears to talk to.

In other, everyday life, I am also grateful for it being the weekend, finally!  For cleaners coming to clean our house tomorrow so that I don't have to (although, I do have to pay them but it is well worth not having to do it myself), for a quiet weekend planned, with a trip to the hairdressers, a new couch being delivered and a stack of books waiting to be read whilst snuggling down in its new cushionyness and for my sister coming over tomorrow to help me do some more unpacking.

Many more grateful hits over at Maxabella's
 

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my! You have had some very interesting weeks. I can just imagine how you've been feeling. To say a rollercoaster ride would be an understatement. And yet, in the midst of the crazyness, here you are looking at the good of what is happening. You are amazing. And I want to wish you all the best with your journey. xx

amberlee said...

wow, big week for you. Sending you positive vibes and happy thoughts. Amber

Lauren said...

Wow you're amazing for finding so many positives in this messed up time! I agree Grey's anatomy shouldn't show bone marrow transplants being so bad. I recently went on the bone marrow list and the nurse told me there is now a drug/hormone you can take that releases he marrow into your blood stream and then you just give blood...no general anesthetic or anything. Peace be with you lovely and I'm glad MR is being wonderful!

Amanda said...

You poor thing - what a lot to deal with and have to get your head around. Sounds like you are staying positive which is good and I'm so glad that what you have sounds manageable with recent advances in medicine. Take care x

spectacularfairywren said...

oh gosh - am completely in the dark with what this means but am wishing and a hoping and a thinking of you. Good job you went to the doctor. take care.

TheThingsIdTellYou said...

This is the first blogpost of yours I have read, and I'm already in awe of you.

I hope that the people around you continue to wrap you up in love and support and that things stay manageable. Your attitude leaves me humbled.

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} said...

I was not expected such sad news Im really sorry to hear that. Even in this hard time your staying positive and handling it well. Treating yourself to some pampering and letting your man give you lots of love and affection sounds like a perfect weekend to me. My thoughts are with you and wishing you well xxx

4 kids, 20 suitcases and a beagle said...

WOW, I can't imagine the range of thoughts that have been running through your mind. You have a fantastic attitude, very inspiring. Good luck, it sounds like you some really fantastic people around you (especially that Mr Rock)

Kirstyxx

Sim said...

Such a huge amount to download in the space of a week and yet you sound so 'together'. I guess that is what you have to do, get on with it and be thankful for all the wonderful things you have around you. Wishing you all the best.

midge said...

you are very brave and sound like you have adjusted to this shock news very well. take every bit of support and help that is offered and stay well. positive thoughts sent your way

E. said...

Hi,

I found you via Melissa who found you on the grateful list. Thought I would say hi. Hurray fro good friends and family who let you talk. Especially MR.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Bless your heart, you are so positive about all of this & it just reminds me how much i have missed by dumping my pharmacology career a decade ago to raise my large family, that there are still so many amazing discoveries in the wonderful world of drugs. Wishing you all best & leaning on that rock when you need to. Love Posie

Maxabella said...

Oh hon, you've brought on the tears from me. I am just so inspired by the fact that you have had such news and yet you have a grateful list as long as this. Very special.

I will be here to hear your news, all good I hope. Much love. x

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Wow! I am at a loss for words. Hang onto Mr Rock and keep up the positive thoughts. You are certainly having a big year. So glad you are back in town to deal with this and not hours drive away in the country, that would have just been the pits. Hugs and healing thoughts to you xx

Kristine said...

Dear Megan,
so sorry to read about your health news. Look after yourself and if having a positive attitude gives you an advantage over illness, I'd say you'll recover strongly.
Thinking of you.

Sally said...

OH MY GOD!!!

I am so far behind on reading blogs and I'd forgotten to set your new blog in my reader... and now I'm just catching up! This is such a shock to read!

I'm speechless. What a shock for you. I don't know what to say. You're so brave - I am admiring your positivity muchly!!!